Tuesday 15 April 2008

Nephritic stone

I decided to dedicate a small playful ode to the kidney stone that so complicated my life a year and a half ago. My folk say that one must laugh at adversity, since crying is of no use:

"It feasts on flesh, banquets on bone,
or quick, it gobbles body whole.
A grain well placed will urge you prone,
Not love but sand takes such a toll.

A germ that grows on salted ground,
in taut terrain, nephritic night.
A pearl, wet desert rose, ignite
this wraith into a question wound.

You jade me, nephrite, graven gem;
your wanton wound, unfaithful ail,
predicted death and bade me pale,
my petals plucked but spared my stem.

I thank thee for that sleepless time,
in Orwell's wing (eighty fourth ward),
its Telescreens, my piddle poured
and turned to wine; but most, this rhyme."

2 comments:

  1. in best Ukrainian tradition, indeed :-)

    Victor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your folk are right! Great Poem, you with so much humour within. well done, you.

    ReplyDelete